Saturday 28 February 2015

The Darth Vader Helmet Project part TWO.

The Darth Vader Helmet Project is moving along slowly but surely. I may not be the fastest but i do get there in the end... I have a VERY bad habit of doing things like this on a Wing and a Prayer... and if i can walk away with all my fingers and toes then it's all good!!!   
But all joking apart i do need to be more careful doing things like this... 

So the Darth Helmet is one step closer to being finished. I started working on the eyes. Cutting out and roughly sanding down the eye sockets.


This was a lot harder than i first thought. I thought to myself i would just get the Dremel tool and just cut the plastic around the inside of the eye socket. That was a lot harder than i thought. I mean yeah it started out well enough i did the parts by the bridge of the nose   did the upper curvature of the eyes then started on the bottom of them.... Then i hit a few problems... 



Now i ran into a little snag.... i couldn't workout how to get into the corners. Silly i know but i was afraid if i used the cutting disc i would end up cutting in to the helmet. maybe the Dremel tool was too big and i needed a smaller one, Getting into the right angle no matter how i held the helmet was very difficult. i tried doing it right and then left handly.   



Now i know i should not be holding the thing while i cut but i don't have a workbench or anything like that. I have to do everything in the garden and hope for the best. (...Wing and a Prayer and all that...) Which has me a little worried when it comes time to paint the thing... 
But one hurled at a time and as my late father used to say "Adapt and overcome..." that and he would say "As above, So below" though i am not sure how the second one helps but he would of said it to me before walking off and leaving me to work things out for myself.
It was at this point i started to use the sanding bit and that worked pretty well. Should of used that to begin with. But with every step i take i learn a little more. 



Now that i have gotten rid of the plastic the eyes are a lot bigger and will give me better area of view.
So with at part done i can move on to sanding, filling in and making good before i paint. But before i do that i will probably do the neckline and try to get rid of the flaring on the right side. I am hoping that a hot air gun and hot water will do that... And that is as far as i have gotten with the Helmet. It is slow but i am getting there. 



And now on to some very sad news it is with a heavy heart that we say goodby to the actor Leonard Nimoy. For most people he will be remembered as Mr Spock from Star Trek. 
He will alway be remembered.
Live long and prosper 

Leonard Nimoy 1931-2015




  




No comments:

Post a Comment